Every time I write “sloppy joe’s” I think of that scene in Billy Madison.
I like the idea of sloppy joe’s but I hate Manwich. Nas.tee. I don’t know what is in that can of goop. I prefer homemade. 😉
I tried her Sloppy Joe recipe a few weeks ago, and true to form I have modified here and there to make it Jennifer’s way. 🙂
First step is to finely chop all your vegetables. I’m partial to onions, green pepper, and mushrooms. You could add carrots, zucchini, tomatoes. Any veggie would work so long as it is finely chopped.
SLOPPY JOE’S (Inspired by Ree Drummond)
- 1 LB lean ground beef
- I prefer 96/4.
- 1 green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 OZ mushrooms (fined chopped)
- 1/2 CUP ketchup
- 1/4 CUP water (as little or much is needed)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 TBSP packed brown sugar
- 1 TSP chili powder
- 1 TSP dijon mustard
- 1/4 TSP red pepper flakes
- 1 TSP hot sauce
- 1/2 TSP worcestershire sauce
- Martin’s Potato Rolls are my favorite! Less calories, sugar, and carbs than whole wheat.
- In a large skillet, saute meat until no longer pink. Season with S&P.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat.
- NOTE: Add as little or as much water is needed to keep things moving and saucy. As the veggies cook, they will release water as well.
- Once meat is cooked through, drain and add to saucepan.
- Cover & simmer for 20-30 minutes until veggies are tender.
I like serving these with fries. We had sweet potato fries in the freezer, and they were just okay. I think tater tots or shoestring fries would be better.
Enjoy! What have you made this week that was delicious?
Until next time…