“Hands On Charlotte is a nonprofit volunteer service organization. We promote volunteerism and direct community service to meet Charlotte’s most critical needs. Our mission is to strengthen our community and enrich lives by mobilizing a diverse corps of citizens in direct, volunteer service.”
When it comes to volunteering I have high hopes and dreams but minimal follow through. For example: I love animals and would love to volunteer at an animal shelter … yet I don’t want to get attached to animals that might ultimately be put down. So I do nothing.
My wonderful and dear friend, Leticia, called me earlier this week about Hands On Charlotte.
Leticia has been volunteering with the organization since she moved to Charlotte several years ago. She mentioned their upcoming volunteer event on January 19th, and wondered if I would be interested in helping … spread the word. Absolutely! I will do one better … I will even volunteer! 🙂
MLK serve 2013
“Each year, Hands On Charlotte honors the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., by organizing special volunteer service projects on and around the holiday that bears his name. These projects not only deliver valuable assistance to nonprofit organizations, schools and other service providers around the area, but also allow thousands of citizens to reflect on the meaning of Dr. King’s life of service for today’s America.”
This year Hands On Charlotte is hosting 3 events at local area schools. Here are the deets:
- When: Saturday, January 19, 2013
- Time: 10am – 2 pm
- Drop in (you don’t have to stay the whole time)
- Harding University High School
- East Mecklenburg High School
- Blythe Elementary School
- Who: Everyone is invited! 🙂
- What: Activities include a range of on-site service projects
- Inspecting and sorting donated food and clothing
- Wrapping presents for children living at local shelters
- Videotaping personal “thank you” messages for troops serving overseas
Mark your calendar! 🙂 I would love to see some familiar faces!
Until next time…