I see “JOY” everywhere this time of year. In decorations. In Christmas songs. In ornaments. What does Joy mean?
“A feeling of great pleasure and happiness”
“A thing that causes joy”
I knew a Joy — and she brought about those feelings of great pleasure and happiness.
Raymond’s grandmother, Joy Grant, was like a second grandmother to me. She was hilarious, fun, warm and nurturing, and the coolest lady I ever met. Christmas reminds me of her because I see her name everywhere. We have a “Joy” Christmas ornament that hangs in our apartment all year round.
My Tribute To Joy
- She fed Cody milkshakes.
- Yes she made milkshakes just for Cody. 😉
- She could cook like no ones business.
- She taught Raymond how to cook.
- I still enjoy her Peanut Butter Balls to this day thanks to Raymond.
- She had great stories.
- She asked Cody one time, “Cody, can you drink Pepsi out of a straw?”
- She stayed up past midnight. Too cool for school!
- Her house was always full on Sundays.
- She had a profound effect on a lot of people.
- You don’t meet people like that every day.
- When she cooked, it was a feast for all!
A lot of things remind me of Joy and we have slowly collected things over the years that remind her of us.
I bought this Pumpkin Pie Plate from Goodwill for $3.99. It did not see the collection of pies like it would at her house, but it reminded me of her pumpkin pies — so I had to have it.
Raymond went to the end of the Earth and back to find her Christmas Advent Calendar. He found it stuffed away in his parents attic, which saved us $100 (the going price on eBay).
This lady in Home Alone reminds me of her because of the hair. And her husband’s name is Ed — Joy’s husband was Ed Grant. 🙂
Christmas reminds me of her the most because she decorated her house from top to bottom, front to back. She also cooked … and cooked … and cooked all season long. I’m telling you those Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls were awesome!
I miss her dearly but her memory is very much alive in this household. 🙂
What does “Joy” mean to you?
Until next time…