I get asked this a lot — I have all this stuff I don’t want — now what!
First, congratulations for clearing out the unwanted items. Second, this should be the easy part. Third, don’t make this into several projects for yourself.
The mistake I see most people make is getting bogged down with what to do with their stuff. If you think something has value, then research it on eBay. If it is worth more than $50, sell it; if not, then donate it. Pick 2-3 charities/places that you would like to donate and be done with it.
Don’t fret over finding the perfect match for everything. Why? Because that stuff will never leave your house! You will have wasted all that precious time and energy clearing it out — to sit in the floor “waiting” for a home. Get it out — now! 🙂
With that said — here are some suggestions on what to do with all your unwanted stuff.
*Computers: Erase personal data before selling or donating. Try the Eraser software (eraser.heidi.ie).
- Amazon (great for books)
- Gazelle (buy used electronics)
- Consignment stores
- Name brand clothing (yes, Talbots. no, Target)
- Home goods in excellent condition
TRADE IT IN
- Best Buy
- Electronic devices (computers, cameras, Blu-ray players)
- Start the process online
- Drop off: prepaid mailer or in-store.
- Receive an electronic gift card for value.
- Best Buy erases your data before disposing of it.
- Electronic devices (phones, cameras, tablets, iPods, GPS units, etc)
- Drop off: prepaid mailer or in-store
- Receive Target gift card for value.
- Electronic devices (similar to above)
- Drop off: in-store
- Apply value to a purchase or receive a gift card.
- iPads, iPhones, iPods, computers (any brand)
- Receive a gift card for value (only for items that can be reused).
- If item cannot be reused, then Apple recycles.
- Cameras (all brands), camera accessories, printers
- Drop off: prepaid mailer
- Receive check for value
- Will give you recycling options
- Salvation Army
- National Cristina Foundation
- Will find an organization that can use your computer, printer, cameras, fax machine, etc
- Group will arrange pickup or drop off with you
- The Kidney Foundation
- Classroom Central
- Charlotte, NC
- Paper supplies, pens, pencils, stickers, etc
- Teachers purchase these supplies at a deep discount.
- Humane Society/Dog Rescues
- Gently used blankets, towels, comforters
- Use them for dog bedding
- The National Furniture Bank Association
- Gently used beds, dressers, tables, chairs, couches, lamps
- Dress for Success
- Larger skirts, pant suits, blouses, blazers, jackets, shoes
- No men’s clothing, accessories, sportswear, or casual items
- New or gently used shoes
- Will even take singles
- New or gently used notebooks, binders, art supplies, and backpacks
- Backpacks, duffels, and tote bags
I know this list is long and probably overwhelming — so pick 2 to 3! 🙂