LEMONADE FOR THE NEIGHBORS! 🙂
LIfe is full of surprises. Some good and some not so good. I was inspired by an article I read about how to bounce back when life throws you a curve ball.
We all have a “curve ball” story. My life curve ball was being laid off at 23. I had just graduated college, secured a pretty good job, and was just getting settled in to what “corporate life” was all about, when I got the news. Two weeks notice — guess that is fair. Either way I was stunned. It was so hard not to take it personally, and to anyone who has ever been laid off, you know how hard that is. All this happened before the economy took a nosedive by the way — my friends all had great jobs with good salaries and bonuses. I just got the axe at a company that I actually liked (or so I told myself).
HOW TO BOUNCE BACK FROM ANYTHING
Phone A Friend
- Create a mini support group.
- Dont bottle your feelings up. Reach out and talk about it.
Forget The What If’s
- Your mind can be like a snowball. One bad thought leads to another one. This makes you feel less in control.
- Divide a piece of paper into 3 columns:
- Worst Case — write down all of those things that are in your head.
- Best Case — ask yourself to generate equally unlikely outcomes.
- Most Likely — think about what, realistically, you need to confront and how you will deal with it.
- Ask yourself, “How can I move forward?”, “Why am I a better person for this?”
- You are a student of life. Not a victim of it.
- Icebergs: undermining, beneath-the-surface thoughts and beliefs that get passed down from our parents and grandparents like an ugly lamp.
- Redefine your perception of your life. What is acceptable and what is not acceptable to you.
Know It Won’t Last
Lend A Hand
- When life hands you lemons … you know the rest! 🙂 Lemonade for the neighbors! 🙂
- Doing something positive for others helps you stop obsessing, because you are tuning into someone else’s needs
- To calm your nerves and anxiety, focus on the things within your control.
- When you take action (like, cleaning out a closet), it lowers your anxiety level and puts you in a place mentally where you take on bigger hurdles. *Cough*Cough* 😉
Face Your Fears
What are your life curve balls?
Until next time…